I am looking for
Green Consumerism Trends to affect Sales
Read-time: 3min 34sec.
Manufacturers and sellers all over the world must adopt recycle and reuse policies to retain customers because environmentally responsible trends are fast catching up amongst them and millennials are the harbingers of change.
A shift in consciousness amongst people, thanks to the worldwide campaigns by Governmental and non Governmental organizations and individuals like Greta Thunberg has set the awareness and trend for a sustainable future. The new-age consumer is aware of the detrimental effects of plastic waste, pollutants to the environment and the need for sustainability. Many have made a conscious and positive choice and changed their lifestyle. Consumers are conscious and as Odette Katrak, Co-Founder of Beautiful Bengaluru says “…The need to reduce carbon footprints and the use of plastic packaging is impacting daily habits with more moving towards zero waste lifestyles. Online ordering is quite likely to reduce….it’s no longer about convenience, but living each day with a conscience, and leaving a better world for our children.”
Manufacturers and sellers all over the world must adopt recycle and reuse policies to retain customers because environmentally responsible trends are fast catching up amongst them and millennials are the harbingers of change. If sellers and marketplaces do not adopt ways to avoid plastic waste it could affect sales soon. For “the greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.”
Let’s not forget that what we do today can improve our tomorrow. So let us be environmentally responsible and also protect our businesses.
A few Pointers:
- Sellers need to adopt eco-friendly solutions because that is the demand of the day. No market waits for slow movers, it is innovation and the ability to move fast, keep up with the trends that survive. If you don’t keep pace, you miss the bus and sales are adversely affected.
- Green ecommerce is not just selling sustainable products; a major role is played by environmentally conscious packaging techniques. Today’s consumer is conscious of the environmental impact of the products he buys, what went into its production and what can or cannot be recycled and reused. The idea is to see that any adverse impact is minimal. Eco-friendliness of a product could be a deciding factor for the consumer’s choice. So choose to adopt green packaging methods.
- ‘Green Packaging’ can help reduce the adverse impact on sales. Bubble wraps and double packing is a waste. Go for sustainable packaging that helps to reuse, reduce wastes and recycle.
- Everyone has an important role to play in the ‘go green’ initiative, from administration to manufacture and the end-user. Mono-materials that consist of only one material or fibre, instead of a blend making it easier to recycle, eliminate the problem of plastic waste. It ensures that there is minimal adverse impact from aluminium or plastic wastes and provides a circular movement of the product in different stages, from product to waste and back to a product, as shown above. So manufacturers and sellers together need to take the social responsibility of delivering a green and healthy world to the future generations. Adopt green practices to ensure your sales remain unaffected.
- Paper and bioplastics are more environment-friendly but not the final answer because the paper is still made from trees and that means cutting down forests which leads to deforestation, leading to soaring temperatures among other things. Bioplastics would need more sugarcane and for that, we need more land. It becomes a vicious cycle. However, it still is a more viable alternative to plastic for sellers. After all, if you don’t adopt green trends now, you will be the loser in the long run and this is your chance to leave an impactful message of ‘go green” to consumers.
The answer to the effects of Green-Consumerism trends on sales in the upcoming years lies in recycling and reusing. For example, if the seller arranges to take back packages from customers and reuse them, it will go a long way in boosting his identity as a champion of sustainability amongst consumers and build a rapport.
- The ecommerce seller would do well to research client preferences and needs. It is a smart move to enable a live chat on your website to settle customer queries regarding sustainable products as well. The key lies in communication. Your customers might be interested to know about the life cycle of a product, about your recycling policies, or even about organic products you may sell which is much in demand now. So it is in your best interest to meet the green standards to retain old customers and win new ones.
- It is interesting to note what Indonesia is doing on eco-friendly ecommerce even though it is known to dump 2 billion tons of plastic waste in the seas every year. One of its websites, Bukalapak sells “Pre-Loved Clothes” that are freshly washed pressed and branded again. It promotes not eco-friendly products but the concept of reusing & recycling. Besides this, Tokopedia.com is known to sell bamboo products to be used in our daily lives as toothbrushes and spoons which are eco-friendly.
Promoting your social initiatives on your landing page goes a long way in increasing traffic to your website. Conscious shoppers will love your brand because of this.
Another way to show your support to eco-friendly ecommerce and going green could be to run an eco-friendly campaign on your page against cruelty to animals or information and posters on ecological conservation could adorn your website. This ensures that your sales remain unaffected while you do your part in caring for the world we live in.